The beautiful church of St Mary’s is situated in the historic village of Chiddingstone, one of the most most unspoilt villages in Kent and which was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Much of it is owned by the National Trust and little has changed over the year, with only two new buildings erected since the beginning of the 20th century. The village is very popular for film sets.
The earliest record of a church in Chiddingstone dates back to 1120, and the oldest parts of the existing church were built in the 13th century. The nave was re-built early in the 17th century after it was struck by lightening.